Jan 22, 2008

Bringin' SD Comida to Tejas...

I am by no means a gourmet cook. Actually, my motto is usually, the more convenient and simple, the better. However, I have had a craving for something that just is not available at any place that I know of here in Corpus. In San Diego, our favorite restaurant is Sammy's Woodfired Pizza...but we love it for their yummy salads and appetizers...ok, actually the whole delicious menu. Long story short, I wanted their Chicken Chopped Salad. So I made it myself. I found a knock-off recipe off the internet and adjusted it a bit to my liking...and it tastes SO much like Sammy's I would venture to say its identical.
Here's the dressing:SAMMY'S BALSAMIC BASIL DRESSING
1 cup balsamic vinegar ( I used a little less)
2 cups canola oil
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons fresh chopped basil
Add all ingredients to blender and blend. Refrigerate. Makes 3 cups (which is actually a TON!!)

Here's the salad:
Finely chopped iceberg and romaine lettuce
diced roma tomatoes (as tasty)
grated fresh mozerella (Gav likes this on the heavy side!)
fresh chopped Basil
fresh Grilled Chicken Breasts chopped into slices/or dices
Optional: sun-dried tomatoes or specialty olives (neither of which I care for...but some might!)
The salad ingredients' portions are up to your disgression...if you like more lettuce and just a few tomatoes and a hint of cheese... you get the point. Then apply dressing and toss....

VERY tasty...if I do say so!! ENJOY!!
This cooking endeavor gave me an itch to try other yummy dishes we cannot get down here on our secluded island of Corpus Christi... stay tuned.

2 comments:

Rondo Family said...

wow shawna, good for you! i am so still in the convnenient mode, but you may have inspired me to try something:) we did get a bread maker for christmas and i did try to make one of the more unusual things, so maybe there's hope:)

Taryn said...

sounds yummy! I think I will add that one in to my list!