Jan 17, 2008

Vile and yet great...is that possible?

Gavin and I have often talked about TV being so great and yet so vile at the same time. We can be watching a great and funny show...and on the same network they will chose to advertise a more vile show. Disappointing. So Christian and I were watching the game show network...watching Family Feud (pretty wholesome)...and the commercial in between was for a Hollywood matchmaker. Long story short...it advertised that one of her rules was "No sex". So Christian turns to me and says "Uh, Mom, what was her rule?"...instinctively I say " No kissing or something like that." Another case in point, how do you explain to your innocent children when they see on tv or on the streets why a guy is dressed like a girl?? We certainly live in a different time as parents than our parents had to deal with. I'm still teaching my children that "stupid" and "shut-up" are bad words. I guess we do our best...and filter out the majority. I love the parental control abilities we have now-a-days.
And yet, when in history have we had so much good and protective information available to us universally. Christian has learned some wonderful things from some of his programs. And honestly, I will not deny that the tv is a great babysitter so I can actually shower during the day or accomplish anything for that matter...hmmm...just some thoughts!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm...too bad you don't have kids like mine...who get bored w/ TV in two seconds. I don't have to worry about that as much as video games. But so far it's under control...SO FAR! And stupid is NOT part of our vocab either BUT it was hysterical the first time I realized Logan was imitating me saying that word and then he reused it in reference to the movie we were watching...which mind you, was stupid! So that's why we laugh at that word..for now, til it gets abused!

Rondo Family said...

how sad but true! looking around the world today it freaks me out to be a parent. i just want to lock my kids up in some amish land, do you think lance would go for that? :) i guess all we can do is teach them who they are. remember grandma, "remember who you are and what i'll stand for" :)

Ch said...

Yes, our world is a combination of good and very bad. The war between good and evil continues on.......

Gavin and Shawna you are doing a good job in this area, keep up the good work.