Mar 2, 2010

The judicial system

I know this not an upbeat topic...but its one I want to vent and to note as a place in time. These last 6 days there was a teenage girl missing here in our area (just giving a little history for those of you that don't live here in SD).Over the course of those 6 days there has been an overwhelming support from the communities. That has been wonderful. It has rebuilt some of my faith that there is a DEFINITE majority of good people still left in this world. Unfortunately, the bad, the sick, the evil minority get such a large portion of media coverage that it can leave one thinking that perhaps that is all that exists. They ended up finding the body of the girl today. Which makes me so sad. But what makes me sadder is that THIS could have been prevented. They have the beast in custody that did this. And he is a registered offender and he was in prison from 2000-2005...his sentence shortened from a plea bargain. He should have been in 11 years...which would take us beyond this year where this could have happened. Even more...how are these people allowed out AT ALL?! I know the laws of justice and mercy must coexist. I just have a hard time understanding why this continually happens. Person violates a law of this magnitude. Person is allowed out into society. Person is sick and does it again. This time worse. They have learned the system and they get more confidence in what they can do and get away with.
At any rate, I will stop. I just wish we could change the laws that surround this problem so that no known convict could be let free to do it again. I know I will hug my kids a little tighter tonight and be thankful.

5 comments:

Jen said...

So sad and disturbing! I am hoping that the system is changed. Our children deserve a safer world. My heart is breaking for her family :(

Ch said...

I heard about this girl on facebook a week ago. Then today I heard on the news that they found her body....
A woman who is an undercover cop in our ward deals with this all the time, for children and youth. She says it is hard to catch them and then they are back out on the street within a five years or so...Many do not change before they are let go. There needs to be a better way, to keep our families and friends safe. Criminals have more rights at some points than we do!!

Tynel Jarnagin said...

Amen sister! Hang in there!

Tynel Jarnagin said...

I also meant to thank you for all your advice concerning Emma's ears. She had her tonsils and adenoids out and tubes in her ears on Tuesday. There was no sign of any fluid- now or ever- but decided to tube them as we continue down the path to figure it all out. CAT scan in 3 weeks...

3WimmerBoys said...

This has really affected me a lot too, I don't think any parent can imagine anything worse. I too am a little more aware of how grateful I am for my kids, and how scary the world can be. I don't understand giving creeps like this a second chance, especially when they learn after the first time you better just kill the girl or you'll get caught. I still say, after one offense, cut it off!