Feb 8, 2010

Confessions: I totally get it.

Say your prayers. read your scriptures. how many times have we heard we should do these things regularly? well. here's my confession. i have always been pretty good as saying my prayers. not perfect but good. and i have always been horrible at reading my scriptures. i'm not sure why. it has never been a created habit for me. i have dabbled, lasted a few days consecutively. but never habitual. until 2010. i finally asked gav to help me in the effort. he is so good at it. so i told him to leave his BOM on the laptop after he reads in the am. and what's the first thing i reach for when i get downstairs. the computer to check whatever. so i had to discipline myself to not touch the computer until i read at least a page in the BOM. it works. and i have found the secret i am sure most have known for some time. that reading doesn't give u a perfect day. it does not prevent incidents, accidents and life from happening. (like...i read this morning and i have a puking son, a needy 4 year old and a newborn all cry for help and attention and a million things i had to cancel today because we need to stay near a private bathroom). it gives me the ability to deal with what does inevitably come. not that any particular insight has, thus far. but, the spiritual blessing from doing what has been asked to do. i claim no perfection at this, either. but i can almost say its habitual...almost 6 weeks down with great consistency. i get why i need it. loud and clear.

5 comments:

Rob and Jennifer said...

That is so great, I need to be better too.

Ch said...

You are inspiring Shawna. The life of a mother is not easy... as I know you are aware of.

Jen I said...

That's awesome!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the push, sis! Another great thing about it being there in the morning...you won't fall to sleep reading them!!!!

Dave and Loralee said...

WE ARE THE SAME PERSON!!! :) same here, not so good at reading, and NOW I'm finally in the habit! and I get it too.
love ya :)