Nov 24, 2009

We don't like Dr's THAT much!

Yesterday proved to be less of a Thanksgiving "vacation" than we had all hoped. It started out pretty mild...trying to get all 3 boys ready and out the door to head up to north county for my post-partum appt (to get clearance=)) I am still "remembering" how much extra time I have to allot for Joel's extra feedings before we head off anywhere. So we were running behind and hurrying ourselves up to Gammy's house for the older 2 boys. We dropped and ran. Joel and I made it to my appt. He was already fussy by the time I got into my room. I guess I have to preface that fussy comment by mentioning that he has developed an awful cholicky demeanor over the last week and a bit...keeping us up for hours at night and fussing CONSTANTLy from late afternoon until the morning...generally just not content unless eating, sleeping or being held and bounced. Back to the OB's office, so I had my appt with Joel crying the WHOLE time...not so informative or effective. But its done. Back to Gammy's house to get the other 2 boys so she can do her thing. I text Gav on the way to let him know Joel was super fussy and that I had gotten yet another jaundice comment about him. Long story short...I now have an acute pediatric appt across the county down at Balboa...which they want me to hurry to. All 3 boys back in the car for a trip to Daddy's work. THANKFULLY Gavin's afternoon schedule had opened wide up...and he was able to help me with the 3 crazies in the hospital. * side note: when we got to the medical center, they had H1N1 flu mists available so while I checked Joel into his appt, Gav got the 2 older boys their swine flu shot...Check that off my list! Back to Joel...so we got into see a very thorough, great Dr. We had gone in with the worries of Jaundice, Cholic and his underlying kidney issue. The doctor patiently listened and without hesitation diagnosed Joel with GER (Acid Reflux). It made sense...and I had already thought that was a possibility....but it was great to have an explanation for my grumpy baby. And the jaundice...well, he says that just takes a little longer to clear up when a baby is breastfed. BUT...as one of the things we have to determine for Joel, I have to go on a crazy very limited diet for at least 10 days to see if it helps with his Reflux issue. (see the next post for details!)
With Joel diagnosed, we got his medicine and headed home. That night for FHE we had promised to take Shane bowling as a reward for not sucking his fingers/picking nose for a whole week (which, trust me, is a HUGE accomplishment). We were having a grand ole' time at Poway Fun Bowl...when Shane tripped on Gav's shoe and falls face down on the hard wood floor....splitting his chin open. Yep, you guessed it. He had a gaping wound to the chin that took Gavin and Shane back down to the hospital for yet another visit...and 4 stitches (that somehow are now only 3...one slipped out!). Our FIRST accident stitches with the boys...but with 3 boys...I am sure not the last!!

No comments: