Sep 4, 2009

Where's Waldo?

On any given day, including some weekends and holidays...this is where you will find Gavin...Building 2 of Balboa Hospital, aka Naval Medical Center San Diego. When I go there, I have deja vu...haven't we lived through this before...um, it was called Intern year. Quite possibly the worst year together...I was alone most of the time with 1 child but prego with #2 then half way through I gave birth to #2 with a C-section and had to manage mostly on my own. And wait....here we are again...2 kids prego with #3...headed for a c-section in 6 weeks (or earlier) and I don't think Gavin can take more than a week off of work...of which week, I will be in the hospital for most of it post-surgery. I am hoping my sister can come help me for a little while afterwards...becasuse the thought of having to do it all with Gavin totally occupied with work responsibilities just makes me ill, already!
Back to Gavin's routine...he works normal, long hours in the hospital (usually leaves around 6AM and returns 6 PM ...unless, of course, he is on call...then he usually has someone who needs immediate attention after normal work hours...home a bit later...and if we are lucky, he gets to come home for some dinner, put kids to bed...and almost without fail...as soon as we slow down for the day...he'll get paged. Usually requiring him to go into the hospital...which means he usually will just sleep there once the patient is done. No sense in coming back home for a short few hours just to turn around and head back. NOW, don't get me wrong...this is already a bit better than Intern year...he used to have 30 hour calls...no coming home no sleep no life. BUT, sometimes its more of a teaser. When Gavin is at home, he almost always has a few hours of studying that needs to be done to prepare for tests, quizes, next-day surgeries, presentations (should I go on...). So, home time really is not quality time, most of the time. He had to adjust back to this mentality...and try not to get overwhelmed by the expectations. He is amazing at what he does. And I think the thing holding him through this...it that he is FINALLY getting to do what he loves in medicine. He loves the surgeries and specialty specifics...its amazing when you are doing what you like...even if it is all the time, in the middle of the night and at the cost of most other things. SO, for that we are grateful.
I have heard people tell me to get used to it, its just the life of a doctor. To which I reply, NO, actually it isn't...not in the specialty we have been holding out for so many years. To which I also reply, Thanks for the support and sympathy! Maybe this residency is a necessary evil...but it doesn't come easily and definitely not without major sacrifices for our family. I think it is just really hard for people who have not been down this road, to even start to comprehend where we have been and what we are going through...it has been a physical, emotional and mental roller coaster. I have no doubt that we will look back in the future and see the growth and be so grateful for the sacrifices that will make a better future possible. And all the while, I fight to look at every day with its blessings and try to appreciate the daily moments of success. Luckily, we have had short glimpses of what our family life will be like once all is said and done...it gives us hope and excitement.
So...why am I ranting about this....well, looking at this long, holiday weekend, I am facing it as Gavin will be on call the whole time...so I am facing a new challenge. And looking forward to the birth...I am therapeutically gearing up! ...and a little mental note to anyone expecting much out of us this year...good luck..likely not to be much!

10 comments:

beck said...

i thought the studying would be done once he was in residency. blah! this year, 4th year has been the best so far. and right now, adam is doind a rotation at kaiser and i love it! he is home by dinner every night. but once this ends he is gone for a month, back for 2 weeks and gone for another month. i am not looking forward to it. at least you can say, it wont get any worse at this point, only better.

tatum said...

just a shout-out that i so appreciate doctors like Gavin who are so committed to their job and their patients. for that kind of passion and dedication, that's what i am paying for and for that kind of innovation and smarts i expect. lol, sorry to get all political. i know it must be hard on you and the fam, but on behalf of everyone that he saves and helps, thank you! especially to you the wife and mom who holds it all together! good luck on the baby, can't wait to hang soon!

Jen I said...

Oh Shawna. I totally feel your pain. I wonder if his residency is at all like Ryan's? His first year of ophtho was beastly, but this year is definitely better. We actually do have a life sometimes and actually leave the house as a family on occasion. I hope it gets better. I'm sure he's doing a ton of studying because even though it's what they've always wanted to do - they don't know how to do it! I try to remember that. I'd study as much as I could too if I were about to start lasering people's eyes for the first time!

So. Here's what you do: find a teenager in your neighborhood (if people are poor and excited to work like where we live - even better). Get her to come two days a week. Have her fold laundry, wash your floors, tidy the bathrooms, clean the kid's rooms, take Shane out to play, whatever. Just set a couple days a week and plan on it. Don't cringe over handing over money because hey, in a few years you'll be making it anyway. :) Seriously, it's the best $6 an hour I ever spent. Ryan even has come to love the days when our girl comes (usually like 5-8pm, the crazy time) because we're just both able to relax when the kids are in bed - no more clean up and everyone is happy! And really, they have to be ok with it too because they're the ones that chose this route - we're supporting them, so if they can't always support us - they can pay for someone that can! :)

Jen I said...

P.S. Did I ever tell you it was Patricia Fjelsted that tipped me off on that? She told me once that she didn't care how much you make - paying for a regular babysitter should be budgeted as importantly as food and shelter.

And for me, I know I CAN pick up all those toys, but can I tell you how happy it makes me to think - oh yeah, I don't have to...she can do it. :)

sue said...

hang in there, you can do it.

AnnCP said...

Got the same advice - hang in there. This too shall all pass. You are just going through a lot of refining - ya think?!!!

You both are doing a great job of "Living" - and those that love you appreciate - whatever the day gives you - as your best. And it is OK.

love ya!

Anonymous said...

Shawna...you are wonderful! I love you and your sweet family. My favorite saying in the whole world is "I can do hard things." It doesn't say how, but that doesn't matter. What matters is that you are one tough cookie and you can do amazing things. You have it in you and it's okay some days to say I'm done and snuggle on the couch with your kiddos and let the house go to pot. Hang in there-you have a lot of family and friends that wish you the best!

Jake & Rachel said...

I know, it's hard. I always try to think that it could be worse, at least he isn't deployed, right?! :) And remember 'Be of good cheer, for I will lead you along' D&C 78:18

Sarah said...

Ahhhhh... some good venting! I love to know that I am not the only wife who feels this way sometimes. :) You have a good head on your shoulders... and know that in a few years that you will be in a totally different place in your life... easier in some ways and harder in others. You are at the 'mentally' and 'emotionally' challenging times when the kids are so young and the dad's are so busy... when the kids get older that gets easier. But then you get way totally crazy busy and think... it wasn't so bad back then.. even though I was doing it alone. But I definitely am better mentally now... you may disagree with that! :) I think I've lost it all upstairs some days... :) I blame it on the kids! I'm so glad we got to see you the last 2 days... I love seeing you more often now that you guys are here! Want to go to Seinfeld on Dec. 5th?????? We could have a good laugh... :)

Oh - and I would get a 'scheduled' play day with your girlies in the 'hood and rotate kids - so you know you have them one day... but that means 2 days when Shaney is playing with friends and you have a little sanity time. Definately a good thing!
Loves,
-T

Sarah said...

Ahhhhh... some good venting! I love to know that I am not the only wife who feels this way sometimes. :) You have a good head on your shoulders... and know that in a few years that you will be in a totally different place in your life... easier in some ways and harder in others. You are at the 'mentally' and 'emotionally' challenging times when the kids are so young and the dad's are so busy... when the kids get older that gets easier. But then you get way totally crazy busy and think... it wasn't so bad back then.. even though I was doing it alone. But I definitely am better mentally now... you may disagree with that! :) I think I've lost it all upstairs some days... :) I blame it on the kids! I'm so glad we got to see you the last 2 days... I love seeing you more often now that you guys are here! Want to go to Seinfeld on Dec. 5th?????? We could have a good laugh... :)

Oh - and I would get a 'scheduled' play day with your girlies in the 'hood and rotate kids - so you know you have them one day... but that means 2 days when Shaney is playing with friends and you have a little sanity time. Definitely a good thing!
Loves,
-T