Aug 20, 2008

Potty Training Take II





I know...I posted a while back that Shane had shown some interest in the potty. But, it was more as a toy and new game than an actual process of maturing.
While we were pretty much house-bound these last weeks with Christian recooping, I decided to capitalize on the situation. Last week I started putting real underwear on him. That approach lasted 2 days with a lot of success but a few accidents that I was getting tired of cleaning up. So, we went the pull-up method. We call them pull-up underwears or underwear diapers....both terms of which Shane feels Bigger with.

During the last several days, we have seen progressive learning. And even though we opt for the real diaper at bedtime, Shane has woken up the last 2 mornings with a completely dry diaper. He manages to only slightly wet one pull-up a day. The rest of the releases have been in the toilet. Then yesterday, he decided to crank it up a notch. He did #2 in the potty...not once...but 2 times!! I am going to give it a couple of more days until I would call this a true success...but its smelling sweet. I would be one happy woman to not have to buy diapers for a while. Of course, I might if we have more kiddos...but to be out of that stage for a while sounds wonderful!
As a reward, Shane got to go to CHuck E CHeeses yesterday!...and Christian was more than happy to celebrate with him. Christian says its awesome to be a big bro because he got his rewards and now he gets to also participate in Shane's rewards. I think this is a win-win-win-win situation!!

9 comments:

Jen I said...

No diapers for a while? Just imagine!

Gavin and Shawna said...

The no dipes thing happened between Christian and Shane...and it was great. But it made it harder to go back into the pit. So...hopefully we can have #3 before I dont want to go back to that phase.

Taryn said...

Cooper is finding the picture of shane on the potty very motivating! We just may be looking at your blog multiple times a day:) Thanks so much for all you and gav did yesterday. i would be lost without you.

Adam and Jess said...

I'm impressed. The pooping is really where we struggle with Gage. He's gone potty on the toilet for months, but no poop. He just started "trying"(tooting) yesterday, so we'll see.

Family said...

Good Job Shane.

Ch said...

YEAH SHANE!!!
It is a wonderful time for mothers when they have no mo diapers to change.
I remember when Joseph was done... it was one of the happier days.

Love you,
Grammy Staley
I hope that Christian got our get well card.... I picked it out and loved the tune.

Ch said...

YEAH SHANE!!!
It is a wonderful time for mothers when they have no mo diapers to change.
I remember when Joseph was done... it was one of the happier days.

Love you,
Grammy Staley

Patty said...

It sounds like he's well on his way to big boy underwear! Good luck!!

Tynel Jarnagin said...

Way to go Shaner! He's such a cutie and it's so nice for you to get a break from diapers!!