Mar 18, 2009

Gearing up...the REALITY

You know, no matter how much you gear up, there is just no preparation sufficient to watch your children go through surgery. There is nothing worse than watching your sweet child go limp prior to being wheeled away from you, knowing full well the pain they will be incurring. Christian's surgery was on Monday. As parents, I think Monday might have been one of the hardest days. Midway through the surgery we got a call in the surgical waiting room...on the RED phone...which rarely means good stuff. Gavin had just run down to the cafeteria to get some much needed lunch...so I answered the call. It was Christian's doctor calling to inform us that the cholesteotoma was back and worse than before. He went on to share that it would be "unsafe" to close up his ear in the same fashion he had done in the prior surgery. With such an aggressive form of this ear problem, he was going to have to do a more radical ear surgery than last time and certainly MUCH more than we had anticipated. Dr. Boston was as shocked as we were that it had come back and that it had now started to extend down his eustation tube and toward his brain. I absorbed the information and then my pregnancy hormones...or maybe its just a mom with crazy worry...kicked in and I bawled. I was trying to imagine the new ear, the dissappointment and the prolonged pain and recovery. Gavin and I both had our moments of...let's call them a humbling moment and a reality check of God's will.
I stayed at the hospital until we were able to get Christian comfortable. It took a while to get him out of the anesthesia funk and his pain under control. Then I had to leave to come back to Corpus to take care of Shane and things here. Gavin and Christian had to stay the night in the Pediatric ward for observation because of the increased depth of surgery. Shane and I drove back up to San Antonio once more yesterday morning to pick them up. And then we made a not-so-comfortable trip home with Christian. Its amazing how bumpy the roads become all of a sudden.
So...here we are...Christian is resting on the couch vegging to some shows. He is relatively fine as long as his pain is controlled. He is one of the sweetest little men I know. He takes this all in stride. And he just amazes me at his quiet strength. Gavin is back to work this afternoon...Booo!
We will be taking weekly trips to San Antonio for checks on the healing of all of the ear openings, skin grafts, etc that were done.
Ultimately, we feel really blessed...that the Dr. in SA has been so competent and so kind to us and to Christian. He really has gone above and beyond what he could and should do. Certainly compared to the awful ENT guy we had here in Corpus initially...Dr. Boston is heaven sent. We also feel blessed that we were encouraged to go in for this repeat surgery. Who knows what WOULD HAVE happened...but I believe that Christian was protected from further damage and possible bigger issues in finding this sooner than later. For these blessings, we are so grateful. To be honest, we did have frustrated expectations of what this surgery was going to be....but certainly we see the wisdom in what it needed to be.

14 comments:

Lott's Wife said...

Oh our prayers are with you during this recovering time. You are brave and courageous parents. Hang in there. You are prayed for by many and loved by even more.

Jen I said...

Man, I get teary just reading that. You guys are doing great. I hope everything turns out fine, and yes, thankfully you took the course you're on.

Jake & Rachel said...

I'm so sorry the situation was worse than expected. I'll be praying for you guys. Christian does sound like such a strong little man, so brave. And so are you guys. I really hope this is the last of the surgeries and he will be healthy. I hope the recovery goes well, let me know if I can take Shane off your hands for a few hours anytime, Eli would love it!

Adam and Jess said...

sorry, that really sucks for Christian. Like you said though, things happen for a reason. It's so good to hear things are going smoothly with the house selling. Good luck.

Patty said...

It is pretty traumatic to have a child undergo surgery. I really feel for you guys. When Mark was a baby we traveled to Houston several times for him to have surgery on his eyes. I remember crying and actually being a little mad at the Dr. (I'm not sure why) I'm glad that your Dr. was able to find the problem and hopefully he will be back to normal soon. My prayers are with you guys!

Ericka Johnson said...

What a trooper Christian is. Some kids are just amazing at handling the difficult things that come their way. I hope he continues to heal and that things get better.

Ch said...

Christian I love you sooo much. I also love Gavin and Shawna. We are praying for you. Ed says he knows what Gavin and Shawna are going through in a small way as his daughter Sarah had hip surgery twice. It was hard to watch her suffer. You are soooo courageous, brave and we are praying for the heavens to send down blessings.

In life do you ever feel like you are on a roller coaster ride...
The spirit is surely the one that keeps us grounded and feeling peace through it all.

Love,
Mom

Dave and Loralee said...

I'm so sorry this has been a more traumatic experience than you expected! I hope his recovery goes smoothly-we're thinking of you guys!

Sarah said...

Hi guys, Our hearts are breaking for Christian and for both of you! I can't even imagine the trial this has been for you emotionally and physically. I know how physically ill I felt watching Chloe get a tooth pulled - and it doesn't even compare to what you are going through. The worst part of trials like this for parents is to not be able to make it all better - to NOT have any control or any magic way of kissing it better. I know you would give your right arm to not see Christian in this pain. Know he is in all of our prayers...even the kids are remembering Christian in our family prayers without having to be reminded. We love you ALL so much and hope this trial passes quickly... I am SO SORRY you have to go through this. -T

Debbie said...

Oh Nans. I'm so sorry. I about cried just thinking of poor Christian as he deals with it so quietly. What an awesome little boy! (Oh, see?! I'm getting teary again!) PLEASE let me know if I can help in ANY way. I love you guys!

lacey said...

You made me cry. I couldn't even post when I first read about the surgery. Maybe because I know Tanner and him are so close in age I could just visualize my Tanner and then I thought how strong you must be to carry this trial. I am glad you are in the hands of a doctor whom you trust! Sweet little Christian! I know you are taking such good care of him through this recovery... if I were there I wish I could offer to help ease YOUR load a bit. much love!

erika said...

Man, you are brave Shawna! Although you said you cried, it sounds like you held it all together really well. I'm SO glad you found a doctor you trust. We will be thinking about Christian and hope that his recovery goes well!

Ch said...

A card is on it's way to Christian. G and G Lundskog put his name in the temple and so did Grandpa Ed. We love you very much Christian and Gav and Shawna.
Wish you could come and relax at the Erickson cabin with us.... that would cheer up Christian and let Shane run all over. Love you soo much and we pray for you every day.
Mother

Tynel Jarnagin said...

Oh, Shawna~ I'm sorry it was worse than expected. Hang in there. The Lord knows you and your children and is watching over you! We love and miss your family and will be praying for you!