Jan 8, 2009

A done deal...

Some people will question why,some people might have assumed , some people hoped, others helped pray for divine inspiration, a few will cry, some will cheer, perhaps a chuckle will be heard....but most importantly, it is done. The decision which path the McEwan family will take has been chosen. There are still unknowns in the equation (which was going to be the case, either way). I think this was quite possibly the HARDEST decision of our lives, thus far. When I considered marrying Gavin...piece of cake ...who wouldn't fall for him. I received almost immediate confirmation of the correct choice. When we had to decide between Chicago and NY for med school...it was hard...but it was a choice of two confirmed acceptances, which was much easier. We knew there was no risk involved. The choice to have children was actually made when I was 7 and just wanted to be a mother...for my whole life....an occasional 2nd choice offer came along...but have never regretted my choice to be a stay at home mom. Many other smaller choices we have made...seem dull in comparison. I can talk for hours about all that went into making this choice...all the pros and cons on both sides...why we flip-flopped decisions almost daily. And in the end...it comes down to faith. Not blind faith...but faith that our Heavenly Father has watched over us in each little and big decision we have made all the years of our lives and most importantly over the 10 years of us being together. We don't know everything for sure...but on this day where our path of history was forever decided...mostly what I feel is blessed to know we are loved, heard and never abandoned. We are so grateful to so many good friends and family who have been essential in this choice...who knew how hard it has been...and gave love and support...and bountiful information. I am stunned at the plethera of knowledge some have in those brains. I am grateful for kind words of encouragement when all seemed lost. Because who would have known we would have been given so much to choose from...truly a blessing (and maybe a curse too=))


I already know Gavin is going to roll his eyes and say this is far too long...but I wanted to make sure I didn't leave anything unsaid...so I will let THIS speak for itself:



Ok...maybe just a few words (first...who can name the beach?) Second...friends in Corpus...I cried this morning to think of leaving here (surprising, I know!)..its a year sooner than we had planned all along. Its as much a surprise to us as it is to you. To our friends in SoCal...we're coming home!! Its amazing to think..and a bit scary too. I guess its that curse of San Diego...once you grow up there...its hard to stay away for too long!

I guess we will never know what would have happened in the civilain match....the deadline for our rank list has passed and we did not turn one in...for obvious reasons. Even though its unfortunate to have had to spend the money and time to interview at all those spots...I chalk it up to one of those necessary evils in life. You couldn't not do it...but in the end, we had to decide against it. It was certainly not a waste, though. Gavin learned a lot. And he learned what an amazing program NMCSD Ophtho really is...after seen what else is out there. We are very thankful!

23 comments:

Camie said...

Oh I'm jealous! I would love to end up in Cali, but I don't think it's going to happen! You lucky girl.

Anonymous said...

YEAH!!! I'm so excited for you guys! Maybe-dare I say...jealous? Enjoy the awesome weather for me. I also think that if you grow up in San Diego-you are spoiled for the rest of your life. San Diego is Always wonderful! Love ya!

tatum said...

yippie, we can't wait to hang out!! i'll see you soon in shorts and a tan, too.

The Bright Family said...

that looks like Bob Hall Pier to me!!?! :) Just kidding--I definitely know how there is no place like home--congrats . . . but you can't live in Texas this long and not have a piece of your heart that's Texan!! Good luck!! Kaykay will miss Shane!

Jen I said...

Hard choice. But hey, it's at least a for sure thing, right? It's still a crap shoot with the whole match thing anyway, so at least that's more stability being able to choose instead of having it chosen for you. You'll have a great time.

beck said...

I was bummed to see that you are going private because I never read those blogs but since you are coming home sounds like I will still be updated and even see you every once in awhile. I hope Adam gets a chance to stay in Cali. We will see....

lacey said...

I am SURPRISED! But, awesome choice! I know however you guys get to the end, no matter what, success is iminenet! I am so HAPPY your decision is made.. what a load left behind. Congratulations!

Dave and Loralee said...

WAHOO!! I know you guys will be so happy! We WERE pretty spoiled growing up in SD-I'm having a hard time thinking we won't live there. You are so lucky to go back! And you won't regret having spent all that money on the other stuff :) It helped you make your decision!
love you guys!

Bonnie and Mark said...

Wahoo...we are so excited you're coming back home:-) No doubt Gavin's family is dancing for joy! I loved your song choices...hooray for California girls, S.D. Chargers, and the good ole' US Navy!! You guys are awesome. Keep us posted with all the details and what we can do to help y'all out with the move.
Much love...
Aunt Bonnie

Anonymous said...

I honestly didn't think you were going to choose this route BUT I am SOOOO grateful you did for purely selfish reasons. I can't wait...I think half of Cali is awaiting your return:-)

Rob and Jennifer said...

i am going to miss you girl! But, I guess I am leaving you before you leave me. Poor Becca, she is not going to take this well. Lets do lunch again real soon.

Nicole/ Family said...

Congratulations!!!! That is exciting. Good luck with everything!

Taryn said...

I am very happy for you! It is wonderful to be close to friends and family and to be home. We will miss you here very much!

AnnCP said...

I too am jealous...I can't wait to come home too, especially with 10 feet of snow sitting outside my house.

Kristi Moody said...

Yeah!! I have to say that I have been keeping up with your blog and was waiting to hear the verdict!I'm so happy you guys came to a decision and a great one at that...San Diego. Can't wait for Denise and I to come and visit. Congrats!!

Ericka Johnson said...

Congrats! I'm very happy for you that you will be close to family in place that you love--a lot to be said for that. It is such a blessing to be able to make a decision and have peace about it. We'll miss you!

Tynel Jarnagin said...

Shawna- Thank you for your testimony! You are amazing! Your faith is strong and it is wonderful to see how the Lord ALWAYS knows what is best! We learn patience and faith as we wait on the Lord!
Congratulations! When do you leave?

sue said...

I am sure it was a hard choice, they are never easy. enjoy being close to family and friends, I am certainly jealous!

Shandra and Christian said...

Congratulations on your choice! Living on the west coast, a little closer to us :) I'm sure we will get to see more of each other. So exciting for you guys.

Joy said...

COngrats! Sd is always a good choice...have fun moving!

Cory or Cari said...

I know that beach! Moonlight.. I just ran across your blog through Lacey's and read your long post. Good luck with everything. We are in Canada for the next 8 months... I love that beach!

Cory Williams

Jake & Rachel said...

Well I would be lying if I didn't say I was bummed, but I'm happy you guys will be back with family and friends! Congrats!! It's over! You must feel so relieved!!

Rondo Family said...

If that is moonlight beach that is definitly and old picture because it doesn't look like that anymore. I'm so excited you guys are coming home:) Lance is going to be way excited to have someone else to call up to go for a surf:) Yay for home!!!