Dec 19, 2008

Holiday hurricane...

This Christmas season has completely blown in way TOO fast and its almost passed me by. We have been so busy with career plans, interviews, plans for IVF, and keeping our heads above water...that I feel like we haven't really gotten to enjoy much of the festivities. Gav's work parties (there were 3!!) were either last minute plans (kind of lame), or gone to without Gav (which makes for awkward) or not gone to at all because Gav was MIA. The ward party was great...but I felt too busy helping and preparing a bunch of stuff to really relish the "fun". Christian's class party...I was banned because I have a "younger sibling" (lame, huh?). So here we are now only 5 or 6 days away from Christmas and last night, with the help of a babysitter, was the 1st time Gav and I had been together alone...and able to assess the Christmas gift situation. And though we were able to pretty much finish it off (minus what I need to get for him...its so HARD!!) now we are so close to Christmas...I need to wrap and clean and buy food...blah, blah blah! I guess I need to slow it down and enjoy the time and the experiences. My perfectionism in me makes me want to do more to make it all perfect...but it also sometimes robs me of the moments of pleasure.
My goal today: buy some of the Christmas food and maybe do some cleaning...but mostly enjoy what Christmas should mean=)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad Ebeneezer left your house!!:) You have family coming into town so you feel the dire urgency of the fastly approaching holiday season...Me, on the other hand, know that I only have to please a 32 yr old, 3 yr old and 2 yr old - all of which should be a cake walk. BUT I still wish I was coming to your home for the greatest holiday:(

Taryn said...

I think everyone feels that way. I certainly do, and we don't have company coming. I hope you get it all done and can feel at peace. Lots of luck!

sue said...

sometimes I find enjoying life is the hardest part, there is always so much to do that I forget to enjoy what I have.

Ericka Johnson said...

It is really hard to relax and enjoy the holidays when there are 8 million things to do and buy! Good luck! I'm sure everything will be lovely, festive, and delicoius! Oh, and the next time you need a sitter, please call me. Kevin and I are at the point in life where we sometimes have too much together time, so we won't mind. :)

Dave and Loralee said...

BREATHE! we didn't go to a single holiday party this year. not one. some might say "antisocial" but I say "sane."
Hope you guys had fun on your night out :)

Debbie said...

I hear ya. I don't like how crowded this time of year gets. Jim and I really tried to simplify this year. We minimized the gift giving (and did the shopping way in advance), and have tried to focus on more of the joy of the holiday, but even then it still gets overwhelming sometimes. It makes me sad that sometimes I'm just more excited for the holiday to be done with. Next year I'll have to work on more of my strategy. :)

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Shaners!!!