Oct 1, 2008

Time Outs

I love, LOVE time outs. My cute little Shane--rascal in disguise- is one of THOSE kids. You can take things away, you can tell him "no", you can remove him over and over and over, you can tell him its naughty, I have even spanked on few occassion....all to no avail. He smiles and chuckles in glee that he has accomplished his mission in life. But, almost without fail, it takes one good LONG timeout in his bed, upset, to have a completely changed little man. Like today, menace man had push me one too many times and landed himself in his bed for about 15 minutes. When I finally went in to get him, a transformation was apparent. He did what I asked, he didn't try to be naughty, he sat and watched a show without pushing buttons and whining. Time outs are awesome.
However, the other side to our family. Christian never really responded to time outs. It really only made him more stubborn. But he responded to scoldings and the look of dissappointment. He is a pleaser and never liked to let us down. So the phrase, "that makes mommy sad" meant a lot more to him than a time out. I have tried that same phrase on Shane as he looks at me and smirks. My kids are COMPLETELY opposite.

5 comments:

Debbie said...

That is a good heads up. Time outs are totally what works for Dixie. If she's doing something she shouldn't and I say, "do you need a timeout?" she looks up panicked at me and says "no" in a sweet, innocent voice. She HATES time outs and is always so repentant after being in it. But I imagine not all my kids will be this way. *sigh* the adventures of parenthood continue on... :)

Anonymous said...

That they are - completely opposite in looks and personality. But that will make for a lot stronger bond. I think you and I were opposite and that's why we get along so well. Your strengths "mask" or help my weaknesses and vice versa. I am soooooo curious to see their personalities as teenagers??!! I am sure you can wait....

Jake & Rachel said...

okay, first of all, I love time outs too. Although they don't seem to work well with Eli, but neither does the stern face, that just makes him cry harder. Though I'm finding if I do time out in his room he calms down faster than in the corner. And yes, I used to watch scrubs. I can't believe you think we look like JD and Elliot! I've never heard that one before. And third, I hate to scrapbook too. I only like it if I'm making something for someone. I only have like 3 scrapbook pages of my own!

Ch said...

Two different children! When more arrive in your family then you will learn more ways that work to get a better behavior. Someone unnamed person in our family, timeouts nor letting them know of our disappointment; neither worked.
I am sooo glad that timeouts work for Shane... I like that idea.

Tynel Jarnagin said...

I can totally relate! The only thing that can stop Emma is putting her nose in the corner. Time out doesn't even work for her. If I tell Coop that I am disappointed in him, he breaks into tears! Shaner is SO cute, it's hard to imagine staying mad for long~