Sep 12, 2008

S'IKE'...gotcha

It was coming...then it wasn't...then it was coming harder and faster...then maybe not...but maybe so! Dear gracious!! We'd had enough...we boarded up, loaded up our irreplaceables, and left for San Antonio. Ummm....so it still hasn't hit...and is not going to hit here (or so we're told, eh?) and we're home again. Plugging everything back in...tired from the run around that crazy "IKE" has put us through in the last 24-48 hours.
The good news: we are alive...I got to shop the outlets in San Antonio, haven't even seen a fleck of moisture...and our home is safe and dark
The bad news: my home is dark and dungeon-like, I'm tired, I'm a little poorer since IKE came into my life, we took another trip to San Antonio (I'm telling you...we should just invest in a place in SA), it messed up some of our scheduling, and lastly...hurricane season is still going strong thru November.
Lessons Learned: Wait a little longer, get a hotel that you do not get charged a cancellation fee (or preferrably plan to stay with family/friends), get off the gulf coast ASAP...
Long story short...we went and now we're home. Certainly our lives are rarely without adventure!

11 comments:

tatum said...

does not sound fun. but glad you guys and your home is safe.

Debbie said...

Glad you're home and doing good. We'll let you know how Ike goes from our end. We're supposed to start getting the winds around noon today and then the hurricane force winds around 7 pm tonight. Y'ike's! :) Jim's mom keeps calling us to pester us about why we haven't evacuated to their house yet (which is only 1 1/2 hours north of us and in the direct path of the storm as well... hmmm... let's wonder why!). Oh annoyances. (uh, I'm talking about the hurricane, of course). :)

Camie said...

Better safe than sorry!

Chadlee said...

What an inconvenience! I was worried about you guys so had to check your blog. I'm glad you're ok. By the way, the photos on your side bar are really great!

Rondo Family said...

Yuck! I can relate. That's what happened to us with the fires. Bummer. P.S. i totally love your new blog.

lacey said...

My computer crashed and Ryan and I kept saying we wondered what was going on with you guys? I was worried about your safety and Ryan wanted to know if Gavin got any good waves in- not what I was thinking:)

Glad you are okay!
love from us over here in KY.
(Ryan has a fellow interview in San Antonio the end of the month)

Shandra and Christian said...

I thought about you guys the last couple of days. I'm glad that you guys are ok! What a crazy time for you!

Ch said...

i am certainly thankful that you are okay. Hurrican Ike has been a nasty one for Galveston and the area near there. I hope Jim and Debbie are okay. It will definitely wipe out some natural gas service for some and the gas prices will hike again. Take care all of you. Hope you get the boards off your house soon. MOM

Ericka Johnson said...

I'm glad you guys are back safe and sound! We just took the boards off our windows today--let there be light! :)

Joy said...

A little late but my parents have an empty/furnished house in dallas. Let me know I could have you stay up there anytime.

Tynel Jarnagin said...

I feel your pain sista! We just got home from DALLAS tonight!