Sep 29, 2008

Season 3...Soccer begins...




After a nice, unscheduled summer, we are now back in grind of life with busy children. Soccer season has long since begun, I am just slacking on posting. He is on the same team as bunch of boys from last years team...this time on a bigger field. He is having a good time and trying to stay competitive with the older boys that he's now mixed in with. They have had 2 games...both of which our team seemed to score more goals. (although I am not sure if there are distinct winners/losers at this age level). Although baseball is still his favorite, Christian seems to naturally excel at soccer. He really hasn't picked up a soccer ball since last fall...but has scored several goals at each game. His only struggle so far is the field size increase...chasing the ball back and forth on break-aways takes a little more effort.

The good news: I have officially chilled out. I remember his first season of soccer, also his first organized sports team, I was such a beast of a soccer mom. I was yelling and screaming, generally not very positively. Mind you, I still raise my voice. But usually more positively than not.

That is, except for last game. When this scrappy #8 on the other team was taking cheap shots at our team. When he fell, he would start scrapping anybody's legs and pull down people all around him. Or pull on jerseys and trip when he couldn't catch up. Luckily he was paired up with kid on our team that doesn't put up with crap. He was using the verbal approach at the same scrappy method...messing with his brain.

I think my husband is relieved to see his wife take a step back...I think I used to embarrass him. That...or he has learned its a fruitless battle to fight my competitive nature!

9 comments:

Jake & Rachel said...

haha, this post made me laugh. I'm trying to imagine this aggressive, yelling, soccer mom and I just can't picture you doing it!!

Family said...

Way too go Christian!! Thats great he is enjoying Soccer. Dallen is just trying to adjust to a full day of school. Maybe next season.

Jen I said...

You crack me up. I can totally see you as the hot, but feisty little soccer mama!

Anonymous said...

Instead of being on the sidelines yelling, you should be coaching!!!

Tynel Jarnagin said...

You are too funny! It's fun to have the boys on the same team! I think you are a great soccer mom! I can't imagine you ever screaming like a crazy!

Debbie said...

That's funny. I catch myself doing that inwardly with the kids at church! One of them pushed Dixie in nursery one day and I just wanted to go smack him! I so worry I am going to be an overly-protective mom. It's good to know it will likely wear off. :)

Rondo Family said...

haha. I'm totally going to be an embarrassing mother and wife. I already know it. whenever lance is surfing i yell/cheer when he gets a good wave, he hates it:) it's more fun if they're embarrassed:)

Lamont and Melissa Larsen said...

How fun to start soccer again, and with some of the same kids. It was such a cute team last year, and I didn't think you were a crazy soccer mom...I just thought you were supportive!

Ch said...

Christian amazes me with his talents. He is a good student at school and seems to excel at sports. What a great family activity.